finance internships for graduates
Merrill Lynch is a financial institution with headquarters in New York City. It is part of Bank of America and was founded in 1914 by Charles E. Merrill and Edmund C. Lynch. The company’s original focus was on being a brokerage firm, but it evolved into being a pioneer in the sale of mutual funds and other investment products in the 1960s.
- Location: New York, New York
- Duration: 10 weeks
- Eligibility: undergraduate students that are in their penultimate year of study
- Programme: rotates across different divisions including Capital Markets, Investment Banking and Private Wealth Management. You will have the opportunity to learn more about specific areas of interest such as Corporate Finance or Equities Sales & Trading. You’re also encouraged to take advantage of cross-functional projects with colleagues from other departments such as Compliance and Legal. Interns rotate every six weeks so you can try out various roles within the firm. There’s also an overseas trip during summer internships which provides further opportunities for networking with people from different parts of the world who share your interests in finance!
Application deadline: Summer internships: November to December
Ernst & Young
Ernst & Young is a global professional services firm with more than 250,000 people in 140 countries. The EY internship experience is designed to give interns the opportunity to experience working in the professional services environment and learn about our culture, practices and client base.
We use technology to help our people at all levels work better together. Our flexible working options include virtual teaming and mobile connectivity that gives you access to your colleagues no matter where you are or what time of day it is.
Morgan Stanley, a financial services company that was founded in 1935, is the second-largest investment bank by revenue. The company has offices in more than 50 countries and employs over 51,000 people worldwide. Morgan Stanley provides investment banking services to corporations, governments and institutional investors. It also provides sales and trading services to individual investors through its retail brokerage division.
Morgan Stanley’s core businesses include wealth management; asset management; institutional securities; financial planning & advice; cash equities (stocks); fixed income (bonds), currencies & commodities (FICC); derivatives & structured products; private equity; real estate investment banking; research services for institutional clients across the globe
Morgan Stanley publishes regular reports on various topics related to finance such as hedge funds, capital markets or technology stocks.
Jefferies Group LLC
The Jefferies Group LLC is a global investment bank that provides investment banking and advisory services to corporations, financial institutions, governments and high-net-worth individuals. It is one of the largest independent investment banks in the United States.
- Founded in 1962, it has over 4,000 employees at offices around the world including New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago and London.
- The company provides advisory services across a broad range of industries including technology & communications, consumer & industrial products & services (C&IPS), health care & biotechnology; energy & power; financials; industrials; real estate investments trusts (REITs); transportation sectors such as railroads/railway companies/terminal operators/shippers etc.; waste management companies/landfill operators etc.
Deutsche Bank offers internships in the following areas:
- Investment Banking
- Global Markets
- Corporate Banking and Securities
- Corporate Finance
- Global Transaction Banking (GTB) Human Resources Information Technology Operations Risk Management
Queen Mary University of London, UK
Queen Mary University of London offers summer internships in a variety of fields. The program is open to students from all disciplines and offers a competitive stipend, accommodation, and travel expenses. Interns are provided with professional development sessions to help them prepare for their future careers in finance or related fields.
Credit Suisse offers an eight-week summer internship program that allows you to network with other interns and senior management. The program is offered in London, New York, Hong Kong and Singapore.
The program will provide you with an opportunity to showcase your skills in a fast paced environment where you’ll be working on live projects for clients.
Boston Consulting Group (BCG)
BCG is a consulting firm that helps companies with their strategic planning and growth. For this reason, they look for applicants who have some experience in business management or finance. They also seek out people who are interested in learning about how companies operate and how to apply this knowledge to improve them.
Candidates can expect an application process that includes two phone interviews with internal BCG staff members and one video interview with a member of the Business Strategy practice group (the part of BCG that takes on most interns). In addition, they should be prepared to demonstrate their skills through case studies or written assignments. Interviewees will also receive feedback from their interviewers on what they need to do differently next time around.
Once accepted by BCG as an intern, you’ll report directly to your team leader and will be assigned various projects relating directly or indirectly to your main area of interest within the company’s scope; this could include working on marketing or finance-related initiatives for one of BCG’s clients.
Graduates who are considering a career in finance should consider these graduate internship programmes.
- Why you should apply:
- You’ll get the chance to work on a range of tasks and projects, which will allow you to explore different areas of finance in depth.
- How to prepare for your interview:
- A good way to do this is by using our interview preparation checklist. This will give you advice on how best to prepare for an interview with us.