Lela Rose is a fashion designer based in New York City. She founded her namesake brand in 2004 and has since expanded into a full-fledged lifestyle brand with an emphasis on workwear, eveningwear, and bridal gowns. The company’s headquarters are located in Soho’s East Village neighborhood.
Lela Rose offers internships for students interested in design careers to gain experience working on the production floor or in patternmaking, cut and sew development and more. Internships are available year round but most positions require applicants have already graduated from college or have completed their junior year of high school.
The company is looking for interns to work in the following areas:
- Product Development – Kate Spade’s design team is responsible for creating new styles and prototypes. You will have the opportunity to learn about design through meetings and reviews, as well as develop your own ideas through sketching and 3D modeling. These positions are available at the brand’s New York office in SoHo, as well as its satellite locations in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Dallas and Atlanta.
- Art + Design – The company hires interns with a background in visual art to assist with creative direction across all mediums—from digital photography to web design. These positions are available at their New York headquarters or other satellite offices around the country based on geographical proximity of intern candidates.
Elie Tahari is an Israeli fashion designer who founded his eponymous company in 1973. Today, the brand offers an extensive range of contemporary clothing collections for women, men and children. Based in New York City with its headquarters located there as well, Elie Tahari continues to grow as one of the most respected names in fashion.
Vince Camuto is a lifestyle company that designs, develops, and markets women’s and men’s footwear, apparel, handbags and accessories. We are looking for interns who are detail-oriented and highly motivated to join our team in the following areas:
- General administrative duties
- Marketing support (social media)
- Milly is a women’s clothing company based in New York City.
- Milly’s knitwear internships are unpaid. The internship is part-time and requires a minimum of 10 hours per week, with some flexibility depending on your personal schedule. Students must be enrolled in an accredited college or university to participate; the program is available only to students who have completed their freshman year and are currently enrolled at least half time (6 credits).
Nicole Miller is a fashion label located in New York City. The brand focuses on women’s fashions and accessories, with an emphasis on evening wear, cocktail dresses and bridal gowns. Internships at the company are available in the design and production divisions, as well as marketing, finance and public relations (PR).
Generally speaking, internships at Nicole Miller involve assisting designers with their work by creating samples for them to present to buyers during presentations. If you’re interested in learning more about working at this company but don’t have experience with design or production yet (or even if you do), an internship could be a great way to get your foot in the door while gaining some valuable experience along the way!
Helmut Lang is a fashion house located in New York City. It was founded by Helmut Lang (born 1950) in 1986 and has since become known for its minimalist designs, which cater to a wide range of clientele. The company is still owned and operated by the founder’s son, Michael Lang.
Theory is another contemporary brand that offers internships as part of its training program. Founded in 1997 by Andrew Rosen, Theory specializes in luxury sportswear and denim designed to be sleek yet comfortable while also being fashionable enough to wear both at home or out on the town with friends.
Urban Zen is a fashion company that specializes in knitwear. They have been around for a few years and are known for their quality work and high-end labels. This internship would be ideal for someone who wants to learn about the fashion industry, but also wants to gain experience in a business setting rather than working for an agency or magazine. The intern will be assisting with marketing initiatives by working on social media campaigns, writing copy, and designing graphics that will promote Urban Zen products.
Benefits of Working Here:
The benefits of this internship are mainly learning how to run an entire business from start-to-finish while gaining hands-on experience in marketing and advertising, which can help you land your dream job after your internship ends. The culture is relaxed but professional; interns are treated well by everyone here! There are also plenty of opportunities for growth within this company if you decide that urban zen is where you want to be after your internship ends!
If you want to intern in knitwear, here are some places to look.
If you want to intern in knitwear, there are a few places you can look. I recommend any combination of the above brands, as well as checking out other companies that do not appear on this list but are known for their unique approach to knitting (like Nadia Terego). The important thing is that your interest in and knowledge about knitting is genuine—if it isn’t, don’t bother applying!
If one company doesn’t work out for whatever reason, try another one—this will help you hone your skills and learn more about the fashion industry overall.